Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Green appeal for commencement...

Dear Friends,

Most of you probably know I am wrapping up my master’s degree in Sustainability and Environmental Management this week – commencement is Thursday! Many of you have provided support and encouragement for which I am grateful.

Overall it was a wonderfully enriching experience – highlights that come to mind are a report for the Massachusetts Commission on Financing Forest Conservation, being a part of World Forestry Congress XIII in Buenos Aires, publication in Germany of a study on renewable energy, and presenting my research on Payments for Environmental Services at the International Sustainable Development Research Conference at the Earth Institute.

During this time, I’ve been inspired by the work of colleagues at the Armenia Tree Project and more importantly by the individuals and institutions that have invested in our work. ATP has been planting trees since 1994 and environmental education has been a core program since I joined the organization in 2004.

Given the urgency of the environmental crisis, I drafted this note to encourage your direct participation. I hope each of you reading this will plant at least ONE TREE in Armenia in honor of this important work. I have set a goal to raise $2,500 on the occasion of my graduation so please use this link to make a small online gift of $20 or more:

http://www.armeniatree.org/donate_online.htm


Many employers will match your charitable donation so that would double your gift. I have told my colleagues at ATP that we will raise these gifts between Commencement and Memorial Day so I hope you will join this effort TODAY.

Armenia is home to dozens of rare and endangered species which are of global conservation significance including the Caucasian Leopard. So please take this small step to create a green future and help me achieve this new milestone. Thank you for your commitment to this cause!

Eco regards,

Jason A. Sohigian

Here’s an appeal update: To date, 29 of you donated a total of $1,515 in support of ATP’s mission to plant trees! A big THANK YOU to everyone that contributed – you’ll get a formal acknowledgment from Armenia Tree Project. Others may continue to sponsor trees via the ATP website.